Sunday, June 1, 2014

Boils, boils, trouble & toil!

I have been following a pretty strictly regimented Paleo diet since March 24th. I had to get back on track... I had been so far off my path and not only was I breaking out regularly, I had one persistent and painful one under my right breast.

Now it is June 1 - 10 weeks - and two days ago I felt the beginnings of 6 new breakouts... two of which came to fruition yesterday and one that I woke up with today!

I am not sure what exactly to pin these on: I eat pretty much the same things day in, day out... because of the royal pain in the ass it is to cook for just one person, I cook about once a month - in bulk and I eat that throughout the month. That's lunch usually and sometimes dinner too. When I do cook dinner I usually cook enough for at least 2 to 3 meals... and I tend toward the same foods.

A Paleo diet should have diversity - actually, every diet should have diversity in the foods you eat because of the nutritional values of different foods. But my taste buds beg to differ! I like many things that I just can't eat because the Paleo diet doesn't support them or because my HS doesn't support them... and so I'm relegated to what I can buy that I know I like.

So my diet basically consists of: 3 eggs over easy with broccoli and either an avocado or a sweet potato for breakfast; a banana or berries with coconut milk cream for a morning snack (if I have one); baked chicken and broccoli or cauliflower for lunch - sometimes with a kale based salad; taco meat made with a mix of grass-fed beef and ground turkey on top of a kale or spinach based salad with homemade mayo.

I sometimes have sweet peppers (nightshade, I know) - damn! come to think of it I had sweet peppers in my chicken salad for dinner last night. I wonder if that is the reason for the big bruiser (not that big) on my left thigh this morning?

But, if so, what is the cause of the two I had yesterday? I haven't had a sweet pepper in a while.

I do keep a record of my menses. I started doing this when I realized I was peri-menopausal and I wanted to keep track of when I was and wasn't getting my period. I use an App called WomanLog. I like it well enough. Since I'm not worried about pregnancy and I just use it as a tracker for my symptoms and actual period start and duration, I just use the free version. I was entering symptoms yesterday (mild cramps and back pain plus libido lift!) when I realized I was in my "normal" cycle. I wonder how many of the three active sites I have right now are based on my hormones?

On Friday I had a cup of gluten-free creamy clam chowder. Yes, that is dairy and white potatoes. I just realized this morning that any part of that could be the culprit here too. On Friday I also bought a cashew butter from Aldi's that has sugar and oil in it... and a processed stevia with dextrose... even though it is organic, I wonder...

It is so hard when you have a breakout to find the true culprit. If you're anything like me, when you slip, you don't just do one thing, you do multiple "things" outside of your normal eating pattern. Now I have to go another 4-6 weeks CLEAN before I can try to truthfully introduce any one food back in and know that it is or isn't a trigger.

This is hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment